Saturday, January 8, 2011

Assignment 1: Media Autobiography

Communication is critical to everything we do. Those 8 types of mass media – books, newspapers, magazines, movies, recordings, radio, television and internet are always related to our daily life. They can help me to get the latest news and to know things around me and the world.
Books can help me in doing assignment, for example doing some research. I would prefer to do the research in the library sometimes although it is not as convenient as the internet. Because I would feel tired when I focus on the computer for a long period of time. And also, I may not access to internet all the time. So, I can bring those books everywhere I want. I seldom read books, but I found The Kite Runner is a really good book to read. I love the story, and I could even imagine I was one of the characters inside the book.
I read newspapers or magazines everyday in the library when I got a gap between classes. I probably get the latest news from the newspapers, but the reason that I dislike newspaper is my hands would become dirty after I finished watching it. I know this may be a stupid reason, but it is hard to find the restroom to wash my hands sometimes. However, I can keep the information from the newspapers or magazines if I want. I may lose the webpage or files in the internet easily. It will be more secure if I want to keep some important information.
Movies can also give me some previous news or events, like the movie After Shock which I watched in the last summer. It was a great and powerful movie that was about the 1976 Tangshan earthquake. I got much more details of the earthquake from the movie.
I seldom listen to the radios, but I know I can get the news from radio as well. The radio programs here seem to be boring as I always hear the same song. However, I think radio is a good way to produce advertisement because many people listen to the radio while they are driving.
Television is one of the things that I can’t live without it. I love watching dramas that produce by the US, such as The Mentalist, CSI and The Pretty Little Liars. As an international student, I need to improve my English. So, I can improve it by listening more of it. Besides, I think television is also the good way to produce advertisement, as same as radio.
Internet, which is the best invention in the world, becomes much more important in these days. It is the fastest way to spread the latest news. I can search the materials I need for assignment through the internet. Google and Wikipedia are the common search engines that I use. I am using the internet every day; for instance, check the weather information and e-mail and update my facebook. It is convenient to communicate with people around the world through MSN or skype too.
We can’t live without media since it is important to the modern world. I have decided communication as my major, and I am planning to transfer in the coming fall. I have applied to UCLA, UCSD and UCD, and I would like to work in public relations or advertisement industry for my future career.

No comments:

Post a Comment