Saturday, January 22, 2011

Assignment 3: Books

Although I am not a bibliophile, I still read a few books a year and these three had quite influenced me a lot.

1) Harry Potter    Author: J.K. Rowling




At first, I didn’t really like to read Harry Potter when the first novel, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, was released in 1997. Some of my schoolmates had even formed a "Harry Potter Fans Group" at that time as they thought it was really good, and addicted to it immediately. But still, I was not interested in it until I watched the movie of its first novel. I was about nine when I watched the movie, and as a simple kid, I didn’t have much knowledge up in my mind. I thought it was amazing when I saw the characters are attending a magic school. After finished watching the movie, I started reading Harry Potter series. I thought the plots of Harry Potter are excited which some of them are can’t be imagined. As time goes on, I knew magic is impossible to exist in the world, but I still love to read Harry Potter series. I have already finished reading the last novel, it is great! And the most important point is reading the novels is even exciting than watching the movies, and I can improve my English as well.

2) Charlotte’s Web    Author: E.B. White


I read it when I was in 7th grade, and was the required novel I needed to read in the English Literature class. Teacher read with us when we were having class, she explained the important parts of it, and so I could understand the novel deeply. It tells a story between a pig named Wilbur and his relationship with a spider named Charlotte. Charlotte writes a message praising Wilbur in her web in order to persuade the farmer not to kill him. It is a touching story that telling friendship is one of the important stuffs in our lives. Friends will give us a helping hand if we are in a trouble. Helping with each other, just like Wilbur and Charlotte, is what we should do as a friend. I can still remember the plots inside the book although I read it long time ago.




3) The Kite Runner    Author: Khaled Hosseini


It became one of my favorite novels after I finished reading this in my READ 211 class last quarter. The plots were very remarkable that make me won’t forget them. It tells about friendship and betrayal, price of loyalty. Themes of love, honor, guilt, fear and redemption are all included in this fabulous novel. I felt boring when I was reading the first few chapters until the first climax appeared. I learned not only vocabulary and sentence structure, but also some experience in my life. It taught me a lot. I am sure I am going to read it again later. This is a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED novel! 

1 comment:

  1. I have read Kite Runner both Chinese and English version for several times since it is so attractive and touching. It introduces me into a world that I have never experienced before. I see them as if they were really alive, I sympathize with them, enjoy with them, and grieve with them. I fell as if I was, in a measure, actors with them in the scenes which the author describes.

    ReplyDelete